- The Pantry is open every Thursday from 9 am to 3 pm. Phone: 374-2900
- Tree of Life Food Pantry is organized to provide food for the residents of the eight towns of the Blue Hill peninsula: Blue Hill, Brooklin, Brooksville, Castine, Orland, Penobscot, Sedgwick, and Surry. However, residents who need food and who live in other towns may come to the Pantry for assistance on a more limited basis. No one is turned away. The atmosphere is warm and friendly.
- First-time clients are asked to provide their name, town, phone number, and number of adults & children living in the home. There is no income verification or other form of needs criteria to receive food. On subsequent visits, clients are asked their name at check-in.
- The Pantry is set up to resemble a store; shelves are stocked with food, and clients are able to “walk the aisles” and choose the food that fits their needs. Guidelines are posted with suggested quantity limits, based on the number of people living in the home. Staff is always available to answer questions and help with special needs.
- A wide variety of food items is available. Though the Pantry is not meant to be a family’s sole source of food, with proper planning and creativity, a family can significantly supplement its food supply and prepare balanced, nutritious meals.
- The Pantry’s stock items include: ketchup, mustard, and/or mayonnaise, canned tuna or other meat, canned spaghetti & meat balls or ravioli, peanut butter, jelly, canned fruit, canned vegetables, dried beans, split peas, canned baked beans & soups, flour, sugar, spices, tea, boxed & powered milk, pasta, rice, canned tomato products, cold cereal, oatmeal, bread, eggs, frozen meats, and fresh bananas, carrots, onions, & potatoes. Other fresh vegetables are provided whenever possible. For more on where the food comes from: here.
- From time to time, the Pantry provides toilet tissue, tooth brushes & paste, diapers, light bulbs, and other household items. Pet food is provided on a regular basis by area shelters, businesses, and pet lovers.
- Many clients enjoy volunteering at the Pantry. Please stop by on Thursday if you would like to help.